Just as you need oscillating tools to cut, grind, polish, rasp, sand, scrape, and saw, the following will help you climb and conquer mountains! With these, you can be a climber and a hero!
- Warm clothing – Climbing can get really cold, which is why you need long sleeves, jackets made of wool or a waterproof jacket, hiking pants (thick pants will do), and thick socks paired with climbing shoes. For your head, you’ll need a cap or a head scarf that can keep your head warm and protected plus a head torch to guide you in the dark. For your hands, you’ll need gloves. It’s best to invest in a pair of waterproof gloves, because they can keep you safe from both the cold and rope burns. You’ll need sunglasses for your eyes as well. Also carry extra socks for a good night sleep.
- High energy food – You have to feed yourself at some point! Mountain climbing isn’t all about climbing. You can’t climb if you’re not energized so you better bring sweet foods like chocolates and energy bars. Bringing biscuits and nuts is a must too.
- Water – You don’t have to bring a gallon for your activity. Just bring enough. Perhaps two liters a day would suffice.
- Insect repellant and sunblock – These two will protect your skin from bites and heat. After all, the mountains can be full of unfamiliar insects whose bites can infect you. It’s better to be safe. You might need lip balm to keep your lips moisturized too.
- Plastic bags – You’ll never know what you need from the rain. Besides, they’re convenient when you want to take home souvenirs from the mountain trip.
- Waist pouch – It’s difficult to bring your backpack and everything you have with you when you climb. A handy bag can, therefore, do the trick. You can keep the most important things with you such as your phone and your raincoat for an emergency.
- First aid kit – Be sure to bring sterile bandages, Band-Aids, gauze pads, safety pins, cotton balls, needles, scissors, and even a thermometer. Don’t forget to bring medicine tablets for the most common types of sicknesses like flu, headache, and stomach aches. Your kit should also include ointment, alcohol, and a small towel.
- Toiletries – Bring your shampoo, toilet paper, soap, toothbrush, and toothpaste.